Coming Soon – ALPHA!
Join the Adventure. Build, Explore and Renew your relationship with Jesus Christ. Checkout www.alphausa.org or #TryAlpha . This is an opportunity for JESUS to find YOU and answer your question, “Is there more to life than this?”
Register as a: ALPHA Small Group Participant
Register as a: ALPHA Small Group Leader
What is Alpha?
Alpha is an opportunity to explore life and the Christian faith in an open, informal, friendly environment. But don’t take it from us- here’s what our past guests have had to say:
- “Alpha is a place to make new friends and talk about Christianity without coercion.”
- “Alpha is an opportunity to develop a personal relationship with God.”
- “Alpha is dinner and a movie.”
- “Alpha is the experience of a lifetime!”
What should I expect from Alpha?
Each Alpha session includes dinner, which is offered at no cost. There is no fee to attend Alpha. The videos each week get into life’s biggest questions, serving as a springboard for table discussions:
Session #1: Is There More to Life Than This?
Session #2: Who Is Jesus?
Session #3: Why Did Jesus Die?
Session #4: How Can I Have Faith?
Session #5: Why and How Do I Pray?
Session #6: Why and How Should I Read the Bible?
Session #7: How Does God Guide Us?
Session #8: How Can I Resist Evil?
Session #9: Why and How I Should Tell Others?
Session #10: Does God Heal Today?
Session #11: What About the Church?
When does Alpha start?
Our upcoming Alpha Course will take place at St. Anthony Parish Center in Francis Hall, starting April 27, 2017.
What are people saying about Alpha at other churches?
- Alpha got me thinking about my faith seriously, earnestly, and with an open heart for the first time in a long time.
- I was so surprised by the caring. The food, the friendship– I didn’t expect to feel so cared about by strangers!
- Alpha has made it easier to talk about my faith in Christ!
- After the Alpha Retreat and the ability to have others pray over me, I have felt peace ever since!
- I was so surprised about how easy it is to talk to strangers and acquaintances about issues of faith.
- After Alpha- I want to follow Jesus even more closely.
- Alpha impacted my daily life- I now read the Bible every day. There is so much comfort from the Bible that I did not know before.
- Alpha surprised me…I realized how much God personally loves me and wants good things for me; not theoretical but personal.
What does an Alpha session look like?
Alpha at St Anthony features a free dinner, a great video, and excellent conversation.
The video is designed to engage guests and inspire conversation. Usually around thirty minutes long, the video explores the big issues around faith and unpacks the basics of Christianity, addressing questions such as Is there more than just this? Who is Jesus? and How can I have faith?
Probably the most important part of any Alpha: the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation to say anything and there’s nothing you can’t say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute your own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment. Above all else, Alpha is a conversation!
5 Reasons You Should Try Alpha!
1. The food is amazing.
2. The honest conversations are incredible.
3. The experience of true community will astonish you.
4. Alpha will help you identify and satisfy your hunger for more.
5. Alpha will help you to find answers to your questions!
+ Alpha is powerful for those who have been away from faith for years. Invite friends!
Alpha in a Catholic Context
Alpha is for seekers- people from all sorts of different spiritual backgrounds who are searching for God and asking tough questions. Alpha is also for devout Christians and Catholics- it is an intense experience that deepens one’s love for Jesus and the Church.
Alpha is a tool for evangelization that is being used by thousands of Catholic parishes in over 70 countries around the world. Alpha is also run by churches of many other denominations to introduce people to the life-changing message of Jesus Christ. This has led to more than 24 million people around the world experiencing Alpha. In particular, it is attracting many young people who are asking the question, ‘Is there more to life than this?
Alpha introduces people to the first proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ, otherwise known as the Kerygma: ‘Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you, and now he is living at your side to enlighten, strengthen and free you.’ (Evangelii Gaudium, 164).
Alpha invites people to respond to the good news through a decision to follow Jesus. Parishes around the world have seen significant growth in numbers and a new enthusiasm for mission. New members of the parish, having come to faith during Alpha, frequently join parish activities and bring the freshness and joy of their encounter with Christ into the life of the parish.